Multitimbral support example?
Started by Squar0L

3 posts in this topic
Squar0L

12 posts 4 threads Joined: Oct 2021
Question  16-11-21, 19:14 -
I was happy to see the multi-timbral support without control change last year on the python migration branch in git. Does anyone have a working example config file? My objective is to configure voices to midi channels.
hansehv

168 posts 17 threads Joined: Dec 2020
19-11-21, 21:39 -
Hi Squar0L,
Like to help, but I don't exactly get what you're looking for.
  • Multitimbral support is turned on by defining the device in configuration.txt with parameter "MULTI_TIMBRALS =" which depends on your device(s).
    You can find the devicename as samplerbox sees it either in the messages of the console when starting manually or in the webgui in "LCD Menu" (button on the very  bottom of the dashboard.
  • Translating channels to voices is by default midichannel=>voice.
    This default behaviour can be changed with a "MTchannelmap.csv" in the active preset folder. You can find an example in the "1 MidiPlayer" of the demos on the distributed image.
Hope this helps, Hans
Squar0L

12 posts 4 threads Joined: Oct 2021
21-11-21, 17:01 -
Hi Hans,

Thanks, the demo helps. As now I understand, there can be only one active preset "folder". This folder is to have a mix of voices. For example, to have the grand piano and drum kit, I'll need to combine them into one folder. Can you confirm this assumption?

I had a different expectation: to have a usb stick, with multiple voices, each in it's own older, like a sample library collection. Then in a top level samplerbox config file I assign them to voices. So that "MTchannelmap.csv" does not sit in the active voice folder. Is it supported/supportable?
hansehv

168 posts 17 threads Joined: Dec 2020
08-01-22, 01:43 -
Hi Squar0L,
Sorry for the late reply, I somehow lost this post  Blush

Your assumption is right.

Your expectation is not supported now or in upcoming releases.
I don't think this is a workable approach as the PI's memory is too limited for this.
The swapping more powerful devices use to bypass this, is unusable for a PI because of the real physical IO needed.
Since samplerbox is aimed at the PI implementation, I don't consider developing in this direction.

Hans