Connecting Raspberry SamplerBox to Raspberry MidiHub
Started by TaeYongK

2 posts in this topic
TaeYongK

Exclamation  05-04-21, 17:25 -
Hi Folks Big Grin Big Grin

I have a little issue with SamplerBox... maybe you guys can help!

I'm using a Raspberry midi host ( this one> https://neuma.studio/rpi-as-midi-host.html) connected to my Elektron gear so I can control it with an external Akai Midimix Midi controller. Everything works fine!

And...
I want also to use my Elektron gear as a midi controller of the Raspberry SamplerBox, via the Raspberry midi host so I can't trigger and sequence samples from the Elektron gear.

I connected the Raspberry SamplerBox to the Raspberry midi host via a USB 3.0 type A to type A (Double classic USB)... but yep, didn't work. The Raspberry SamplerBox receives no midi from the Raspberry midi host.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers!
noek

37 posts 0 threads Joined: Jan 2021
05-04-21, 20:31 -
Hi Tae,
Maybe someone can help, but you're not giving much clues... so let's get more specific:
  1. what is the version of your samplerbox image / was it downloaded from this site?
  2. does it work when connected directly, ie: did you ever had it working?
  3. how did you conclude it does not receive midi signals?
regards Noek
hansehv

168 posts 17 threads Joined: Dec 2020
25-04-21, 21:17 -
Hi guys,
I think the culprit lies within the device-host concept of MIDI via USB. You can't connect the usb cables as simple as the 5 pin DIN connectors; with usb there is always a host and a peripheral (device).
Midi controllers (keyboards) are devices by nature.
Being the hub the devices connect to for connecting with each other, the midi host expects devices only.
As Samplerbox is made for connecting devices, it is setup as a host and thus also expects devices only.
At this very moment only solution is adding the serial midi interface to samplerbox and connect via an adapter cable to the midihost (or vice versa, but I don't see any mentioning of adding serial midi to this host).
However a new release is on it's way, which has a midi through capability which could replace the midihost. However this works via the rtmidi interface, which blocks realtime and sysex messages when using multi inports (there is some logic behind that..). And no bluetooth. So a solution for simple usage only, otherwise you still have to fallback to the serial option.
Hans