Stereo vs Mono Samples - Effect on Glitches, Clicks, Pops, Etc.
Started by jhschnauzer

0 posts in this topic
jhschnauzer

3 posts 2 threads Joined: Feb 2023
28-04-23, 03:06 -
Hi All,

Have had SamplerBox running well for awhile now on a Raspberry Pi 4 (8GB) with Pirate Audio Line Out Hat.

I’m aware of the various recommendations posted on this site to reduce CPU load to avoid the clicks and pops phenomenon. Most of my multi-samples sound reliably clean (i.e. free of glitches) with four or less note polyphony.  And some samples are clean up to 6 or 8 note polyphony (at moderate tempo).

Other than trying to overclock the processor… (any thoughts on that - separate issue)?

I was wondering whether there’s any way to force SamplerBox to only process mono samples… reduce CPU load by up to half?  

Yes - I prefer listening directly to stereo… but if I’m planning to run through other effects (i.e., chorus, reverb via pedal) or mix with other instruments… then it’s easier to just mix everything in mono before the effects anyway. And if it makes the glitch-free polyphony go up… I’ll take it!

I believe many of the multi-samples are natively stereo .WAV format files. I could reprocess them all to mono (i.e. using sox from terminal).  However, would be nice to just be able to tell SamplerBox to ignore one of the channels of a stereo multisample.

Is this possible?

Thank you.

James
This post was last modified: 28-04-23, 11:45 by jhschnauzer. Edit Reason: typos