Can I use Raspberry Pi 400?
Started by weavermedia

4 posts in this topic
weavermedia

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Jun 2022
17-06-22, 06:05 -
I'm new to Raspberry Pi and SamplerBox. Can I run it on a Pi 400? Looks like the specs are pretty much the same as a 4 - just a little faster clock speed on the 400.

I'm struggling to find stock of a regular 4 anywhere so hoping I can use a 400 just to get started.

https://all3dp.com/2/raspberry-pi-400-vs...fferences/
hansehv

168 posts 17 threads Joined: Dec 2020
17-06-22, 20:02 -
Hi Weavermedia.
I haven't received any signals of anyone using it, but it's essentially a raspberry 4, released in 2020
Samplerbox can run raspberry 4 and is currently based on raspbian buster, which was released a year later. I can draw just one conclusion from that  Wink

Keep in mind samplerbox is supposed to run headless - a keyboard is only needed at system install (which is done) and a system crash that destroying the networking part.
That drills down to almost zero.
Since the system is readonly to withstand stage environment, the poweron/off button doesn't add value here either.
At my normal reseller I saw the 4Gb model for 60 euros and the 400 for 95 euros. For 92 euros you get a Pi4 with 8Gb.

Memsize could be a consideration as the active sample set (=your instrument = the size of the sample folder) has to be loaded completely in RAM.
Experience learns this a seldom a limitation; a large instrument like the grandpiano can be loaded in 2G.

Speed difference is really very small. If samplerbox is used in a way that speed becomes a problem, you'll cross that next border as well.

But if you have a 400, it's a perfect way to start, even an unused 3B can do the job in most circumstances.
I even tested on a 2B just for compatibility, which worked. But I'd say: good for testing, not to be used in full musician style with effects and such goodies. The effects are the killing part, plain instruments like grand piano have no issues.

Have fun,
Hans
weavermedia

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Jun 2022
17-06-22, 23:47 -
@hansehv Thanks for the info. The only reason I'm looking at the 400 is because I can't find stock of the 4 anywhere in the USA. The scalpers got them all :-(

One on Amazon for $215 😂 and a few on eBay but not sure if I trust that.

All the usual suppliers I checked have zero stock on all models. Except, that is, the 400, which seems to have passed under the scalpers radar unnoticed.

Well, I'll either give the 400 a try or pay over the odds for a 4. Either way, I'm want to get started! 😀
This post was last modified: 18-06-22, 05:04 by weavermedia.
Squar0L

12 posts 4 threads Joined: Oct 2021
03-07-22, 23:19 -
Rpilocator can show US stock, among others. They are coming and going weekly, disappear very quickly. I snatched a 4GB model a few months ago by reacting to it quick enough.

https://rpilocator.com/?country=US
jhschnauzer

3 posts 2 threads Joined: Feb 2023
17-03-23, 04:20 -
Hi! I ONLY have a Pi 400 available now.  I already tried using my old SamplerBox SDcard with it that had been based on Debian Buster kernel.  DID NOT RUN.  With more digging at Raspberry Pi main site… discovered that Raspberry Pi 400 needs the latest 64 bit version (Bullseye).

https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-systems/

I’ve already tried repeatedly to try to manually install Joseph Ernest’s version on Bullseye… wouldn’t work (it DOES WORK on Debian Buster 32 bit on a Raspi 4B).

So, is the prebuilt ISO here built for Bullseye 64bit? 

Are files available so that I can manually build for Bullseye 64 bit?

Thank you.