Piano peddels
Started by ernst.frolich@gmail.com

2 posts in this topic
ernst.frolich@gmail.com

3 posts 2 threads Joined: Dec 2021
18-02-22, 10:37 -
Hello all,

I use a Kawai VPC1 keyboard with samplerbox. The problem is that only the sustain peddle is working. I like all 3 to work.

In the Kawai I can select the midi number (what should I call this?) in use. Which numbers should i use for Soft and Sustenuto?

I use the previous version of samplerbox but maybe it is the same in all versions?

Thanks,
Ernst-Jan
noek

37 posts 0 threads Joined: Jan 2021
18-02-22, 16:41 -
(18-02-22, 10:37)ernst.frolich@gmail.com Wrote: In the Kawai I can select the midi number (what should I call this?) in use. Which numbers should i use for Soft and Sustenuto?
I use the previous version of samplerbox but maybe it is the same in all versions?
Hi Ernst-Jan,
The samplerbox is distributed with Hans's setup - works in most cases ,bu it is "just an example".

How it works:
  • in the controllerCCs.csv you define how your keyboard looks like.
    So you can define Soft and Sustenuto in there with their corresponding CC's (Control Change, what you called"midi number").
  • Next you can define in the CCmap.csv which effect you want it to trigger with your fresh defined controller=pedal.
    The effects are called controls in midi terms. All possible controls you can use are documented in the Controls.csv.
However, soft and sostenuto are not supported in samplerbox (yet..), so you won't find them in there.
But if you want to use the pedals for adapting an effect (like reverb on/off and such things), you have a possibility.

Above works the same in old and new version.

Hope this helps, Noek
This post was last modified: 18-02-22, 16:44 by noek.
hansehv

168 posts 17 threads Joined: Dec 2020
20-02-22, 16:55 -
Hello Ernst-Jan,
It pleases me to see samplerbox being used with such a professional keyboard  Smile
I noticed it can set both midi channel and CC via the editor - Noek's description (thanks Noek) referred to the CC number. Midi channel best remains at 1.

However I'm not sure Noek's proposal will work; it's a use I didn't foresee and may be blocked somewhere. You can try however - if you do, I'm curious for the results.
For now I think only sustain and the three damp modes are compatible with pedals.
It's worth investigating whether this switch option for effects can be added to pedals somehow. Nice idea#1 as it would greatly extend the pedal's possibilities.

Sostenuto, sustaining only the keys pressed at the moment the pedal was played, is an interesting feature with similarity to the dampnew and damplast. Nice idea#2.

The soft pedal as used by grand piano (=play just on of the note snares) is quite complicated as you need samples of both modes and switch the related voices via the pedal. That would either be a complicated extra to idea#1 or require use of two pedals.
The other technique for soft (damp all with a cloth or bar) is similar to grand piano way from the software point of view.
For just lowering the volume, you can fallback to a volume knob. Please correct me if I'm wrong..

By the way: the damp modes of samplerbox can supply you with a pizzicato pedal in 3 flavours Wink

Please share your thoughts,
Regards, Hans