SamplerBox and Pure Data: Theory and Practice
Started by bbishop

14 posts in this topic
bbishop

33 posts 7 threads Joined: May 2021
27-01-22, 04:32 -
back on running Pure Data headless, I've created a simple startup script, and added its path to rc.local, but that doesn't seem to have worked (I suspect it is trying to start before samplerbox) but the below script works if I manually call it up in the terminal after boot  Dodgy maybe someone has a better suggestion for starting a script at boot or why this isn't working

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# this script will start Pd in nogui
# mode and will open a patch
# named 'main.pd'
echo "Starting Pd..."
sleep 5
pd -nogui -alsa -open /home/pi/Documents/Pd/main.pd &
sleep 3
aconnect 'Arturia KeyStep 37':0 'Pure Data':2

this will boot my 'main' pure data patch, which will operate as a mixer for combining samplerbox with various sub patches, ie. it takes the output from the first audio card, processes it through PD, and sends it out to the second audio card. In it's simplest form the Pd patch connects the [adc~] and [dac~] objects to each other, simply passing audio through, and also includes a message to start the dsp at load. My current patch also applies reverb and adds a simple sine wave synthesizer voice, but this is just a stand in to let me hear everything working. This 'main.pd' patch will serve as the main architecture behind whatever sub patches I create in the future. I'll provide more details on creating pure data patches in future posts, along with the major setup changes that go along with the latest build of samplerbox (it is now far simpler, thank you Hans!) 

you'll notice that I connect my midi controller by name, this is a bit of a workaround solution until Hans is available to help me disable the internal midi player so that I can use the midi through port as a sort of permanent auto connect as discussed above in the thread.

I didn't want to touch this until the new build of samplerbox was complete, but this was such a simple step that I had done before (for detailed instructions I used https://guitarextended.wordpress.com/201...pberry-pi/ for reference), I figured I might as well start experimenting.

I recently got in the mail 4 rotary encoders and 4 slide potentiometers, I need to start breadboarding and programming the arduino midi controller component. Any patch used in Pd will have these 8 controls at their disposal (and will be built with that in mind).

on a performance note, pure data, running headless and with reverb and synth voice, sits at around a stable 10% of cpu usage, and runs on a separate core from samplerbox.py

Messages In This Thread
RE: SamplerBox and Pure Data: Theory and Practice - by bbishop - 27-01-22, 04:32